|05/2015 Our trip to Delaware included a pit stop at King's Homemade Ice Cream in Lewes. Photo credit: JennyPennyAho|
Experienced educators have told me that I need to "give it a year, the first year of teaching is the hardest, but it gets better." Well, I gave it two semesters (almost) and I have decided full-time teaching is not in the cards for me right now. I submitted my resignation in late March. I will finish up the semester and a couple of projects I've been assigned and then I will leave my position at the college at the end of May.
You are probably wondering, why I am leaving after only teaching two semesters. Well, during spring break in March, Seth and I talked until we were blue in the face and we decided it is best that I leave my full-time position and focus on our family. I have given 110% and do a fantastic job with developing curriculum and teaching, but I care too much (is that possible?). My answer, yes it is because it stressed me out! I'm already a high-strung person and giving my all and then some, really took it's toll on me.
Some things I discovered since last August:
- Educators work more than just the 40 hours a week. It includes nights and weekends and late night emails and grading. I knew this, but not being able to "shut it off" and thinking about it the moment I woke up everyday was annoying & stressful.
- Although, I care for my students and want them to be successful, there is only so much I can do to push them along. It's exhausting dealing with students who don't want to put forth the effort. I guess I'm a nerd, because I always did my best in school. In fact, I wish I would have cared a bit more in high school, so I could've aced AP Bio, instead of skimming by.
- I miss clinical nursing A LOT! I never realized I would miss being with patients and just being a nurse.
- We really want to start a family and is just hasn't happened yet. We plan to focus on family right now and see where it takes us.
- Seth and I are taking our religion seriously and we go to church every Sunday. In fact, we were asked by our Pastor after our vow renewal if we would join a small group that meets once a week. In January, we joined the small group and we truly enjoy learning more about ourselves, God and our new friends.
Follow me on Instagram: jennypennyaho
If you like what you read, please share using the buttons below!