|05/2015 Our trip to Delaware included a pit stop at King's Homemade Ice Cream in Lewes. Photo credit: JennyPennyAho|
Experienced educators have told me that I need to "give it a year, the first year of teaching is the hardest, but it gets better." Well, I gave it two semesters (almost) and I have decided full-time teaching is not in the cards for me right now. I submitted my resignation in late March. I will finish up the semester and a couple of projects I've been assigned and then I will leave my position at the college at the end of May.
You are probably wondering, why I am leaving after only teaching two semesters. Well, during spring break in March, Seth and I talked until we were blue in the face and we decided it is best that I leave my full-time position and focus on our family. I have given 110% and do a fantastic job with developing curriculum and teaching, but I care too much (is that possible?). My answer, yes it is because it stressed me out! I'm already a high-strung person and giving my all and then some, really took it's toll on me.
Some things I discovered since last August:
- Educators work more than just the 40 hours a week. It includes nights and weekends and late night emails and grading. I knew this, but not being able to "shut it off" and thinking about it the moment I woke up everyday was annoying & stressful.
- Although, I care for my students and want them to be successful, there is only so much I can do to push them along. It's exhausting dealing with students who don't want to put forth the effort. I guess I'm a nerd, because I always did my best in school. In fact, I wish I would have cared a bit more in high school, so I could've aced AP Bio, instead of skimming by.
- I miss clinical nursing A LOT! I never realized I would miss being with patients and just being a nurse.
- We really want to start a family and is just hasn't happened yet. We plan to focus on family right now and see where it takes us.
- Seth and I are taking our religion seriously and we go to church every Sunday. In fact, we were asked by our Pastor after our vow renewal if we would join a small group that meets once a week. In January, we joined the small group and we truly enjoy learning more about ourselves, God and our new friends.
Follow me on Instagram: jennypennyaho
If you like what you read, please share using the buttons below!
So proud of you! You've always known exactly what you wanted (and needed) and gone after it. Hoping for another baby in the family soon, and perhaps a visit to Montana somewhere in there too? 😘ReplyDelete
Thanks Amy. I would love to schedule a trip to Montana. Right now it's a 2 weddings and a Vegas trip with our Vegas crew. :)Delete
God bless you good luckReplyDelete
I love you guys!!ReplyDelete
Love you too Jillian. :)Delete